Sunday, May 23, 2010

B1+B2

this is a current project I am doing with ArchOffice - two spec houses in the Newmarket-Remuera belt: an interesting in-between of stately mansions & 80's in-fill/

I was inspired to spend a Friday afternoon modeling to investigate as simpler a roof as I could, but with some form that you could experience from the exterior & interior/ I wanted to solve a roof form that described to me the site that we had in the leafy gully in Newmarket/

I stumbled on this image out of a book on the architecture of Eduardo Souto de Moura/



the texture, composition & balance of his buildings & their parts, in their setting is remarkable/ this image provided the confidence that I was on the right track to solving issues we faced with the consideration of light, privacy & site controls for B1+B2


the idea of opening & closing wall elements (solid or void) to offer privacy & frame views interest me/ the reference to the Remuera house model (solid base & light-clad structure above) & how this may be interpreted in the contemporary form, was something we discussed when I was with Hillery Priest Architecture/




the rear house roof is inverted to allow light into the living spaces & "flick" out to the view; the front roof is re-verted to allow light to penetrate behind/ together the roofs act to describe the terrain & vegetation that was beneath









No comments:

Post a Comment